American gymnast Simone Biles has withdrawn from Thursday’s individual all-round event.
The four time gold medal winner, the current champion, decided not to compete after consulting with Team US officials.
On Tuesday, Biles withdrew from the team competition, costing Team USA the gold medal that was snatched by a Russian team.
Her reason was that she wasn’t mentally ready.
USA Gymnastics said today on the latest development : “After further medical evaluation, Simone Biles has withdrawn from the final individual all-around competition.
“We wholeheartedly support Simone’s decision and applaud her bravery in prioritising her wellbeing. Her courage shows, yet again, why she is a role model for so many.”
Jade Carey, who finished ninth in qualifying, will take Biles’ place in the all-around.
Carey initially did not qualify because she was the third-ranking American behind Biles and Sunisa Lee.
International Gymnastics Federation rules limit countries to two athletes per event in the finals.
Get A Reliable POS For Your Business
- Osun Assembly Charges OSSIEC On Credible Elections
- Osun: DG Boss Calls For Strict Adherence To Traffic Rules Among Okada Riders
- OSPOLY Fixes Dates For 2021/2022 Post UTME Screening Exercise
- EFCC Displays 51,933 Pages, Showing Content Of Naira Marley’s iPhone
- REPORTER’S DIARY: Arrested, Charged Within An Hour Without Outside Contact.… Clear Example Of How Journalists Disappear In Nigeria
News2 days ago
If Buhari Declares Bandits As Terrorists, Nothing Will Remain In Nigeria — Islamic Cleric, Gumi
News2 days ago
Central Bank Of Nigeria Launches Digital Currency, Puts eNaira Wallet Apps On Google, Apple Stores
News5 days ago
Just In: Gunmen Attack Abolongo Correctional Facility In Oyo, Set Prisoners Free
News1 day ago
Osun Pensioners Lament Unpaid Entitlements, Say We’re Now Beggars