18 Female Prison Guards Fired For Dating Inmates
Eighteen female guards have been fired for having illicit affairs with inmates at a cell in Britain.
It was discovered that the relationships took place over the past six years at HMP Berwyn, Britain’s biggest prison, Daily Mail reported on Sunday.
Chair of the Prison Officers’ Association, Mark Fairhurst, blamed the relationships on the hiring of “the wrong kind of women.”
He told the Mirror, “Staff being recruited don’t have face-to-face interviews… it’s all done on Zoom. A lot of people getting these jobs don’t have enough life experience and are susceptible to conditioning from prisoners.”
Among the guards guilty of initiating relationships with prisoners at the £250 million super-prison, which houses Category C adult male offenders, were Jennifer Gavan, 27; Ayshea Gunn, 27; and Emily Watson, 26.
Jennifer Gavan was jailed for eight months in December following her relations with prisoner Alex Coxon, 25.
The relationship came just one year after fellow officer Ayshea Gunn, 27, had a fling with ‘dangerous’ inmate Khuram Razaq, 29.
A search of Gunn’s bedroom revealed snaps of the pair kissing and hugging also with mobile phone pictures taken in his cell. She was subsequently jailed for one year at Mold Crown Court in 2019.
- Osun: Owoeye-led 7th Assembly Winds Down With 32 Bills, 38 Resolutions
- Presidential Poll : I Signed Result Sheet For Nasarawa Under Duress – PDP Witness Tells Court
- Drama As Suspect Jumps Through Court Window, Flees After Remand Order
- Subsidy: Judiciary, Health Workers, Others Commence Mobilisation For Strike
- Health Workers Suspend Strike For 21 Days After Meeting Tinubu