Exactly one year ago when the achievements of my illustrious friend, the Rector of Lagos State Polytechnic, Dr Oluremi Olaleye dominated the social media space, I knew the world has not seen the best of this uncommon administrator, Dr Oluremi Olaleye. The feat he achieved within just a year was indeed a subtle reminder that indeed, good governance is not rocket science.
Only those who knew the atmosphere in the LASPOTECH then will appreciate the achievements of Olaleye who within 12 months, cleared the backlog of 2017/2018 & 2019/2020 (433) staff promotion, paid nine (9) months minimum wage arrears, created five new Directorates, constructed 29 bed space LASPOTECH Clinic, installed over 500 solar and LED Street Lights on campus; and installed over 200 Housing Unit at the Federal and State Housing Schemes for staff.
And as if those were not enough, just about 365 days after the above listed achievements were recorded, another bumper harvest of successes is also ready for presentation for those perssimists and administrators who often abuse public offices.
In order not to bore you with much prose, I hereby present to you the achievements of Dr Oluremi Olaleye within the last two years in bullet points:
1. *STUDENTS ACADEMIC AND WELFARE*
• Activated online teaching and examination
• Creation of Guidance and Counselling Unit
• Expansion of Computer-based Test (CBT) for courses
• Increased Library collections (Continuous Purchase of Books & Journals)
• Facilitated the llumination of the Ikorodu Campus with the installation of 200 solar-powered street lights.
• Renovation of existing classrooms and increased provision of furniture
• Construction of 3 no 300 capacity classrooms
• Scholarship to SOWEGA contingents
• Supported other scholarships (EKO club, Babington Ashaye, Sen Tokunbo Abiru indigent students)
•Initiated Annual Retreat with Students’ Union Executives
• Orientation and reorientation of Students’ leadership
•Maximum Support to Students’ programs and activities.
2. *STAFF DEVELOPMENT AND WELFARE*
• Constitution of Reconciliation Committee and implementation of its recommendations
• Review of Institution Security Architecture
• Clearing of backlog of 414 staff promotions for 2017/18, 2018/19, and 2019/20 Academic sessions.
• Conversion exercise for both academic and non-academic staff cadre
• Instant payment of fourteen (14) months minimum wage arrears
• Installation of air-conditioners in staff offices
• Adoption of 2013 scheme of service for all cadres
• Management/Staff Unions retreat
• Regular engagement with Staff Unions
• Re-instatement of dismissed NASU-4 and others
• Provision of Housing and Car Loans for staff
• Secured and allocated over 200 units of block of flats for staff members across Ikorodu Metropolis (Agbowa, Ibeshe, and Igbogbo).
3. *INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY-DRIVEN INSTITUTION*
• Commenced Open Distance Flexible E-Learning
• Provision of library furniture for Isolo and Ikorodu campuses
• Accessed Outstanding 2017 – 2020 merged TETfund in library development.
• Building, integration, and deployment of online CBT examination for over 4000 students in GAS & CCE examination
• Development of digitalisation of students’ ID card production via Polytechnic software.
4. *INFRASTRUCTURAL DEVELOPMENT*
• Impemented 512 Mbps Internet Infrastructure with Fibre backbone by Tehila
• Developed the Polytechnic and University websites
• Procurement of accreditation equipment
• Facilitated the construction of forty (40) bed spaces for the medical centre by SDG
• Combating encroachment of the Polytechnic land on Ikorodu campus.
5. *INNOVATIVE COURSES*
• Creation of Human Capacity Development Centre: Work in progress
• Increased awareness of health & and safety for drivers
• General training for staff by HCDC.
6. *INCREASED REVENUE GENERATION*
• Creation of SPTSD (Special) program with over 7000 students admitted.
•Creation of Agribusiness Unit
•Resuscitation of LASPOTECH feedmill
• Resuscitation, branding, and production of LASPOTECH Water
•Granted business autonomy to LASPOTECH Bread
• Resuscitation of LASPOTECH palm oil
7. *AGRICULTURE AS SPECIAL INTEREST*
• Established plantations for cassava, maize, and tomatoes/pepper production.
• Planting of 1,400 seedlings of coconut
• Purchase of hand mowers for enhancing Parks and Garden Unit.
8. *RESEARCH ADVANCEMENT PROGRAM*
• Restructuring, refurbishing, and empowering of DRID.
• Training the Trainers on Research and grants proposal writing (international)
• Centralization of binding of student research and creation of repository.
• Undertook a review of the institution security architecture
• Engagement of more security outfits
• Facilitated six security patrol vans with eight motorcycles
• Increase in renumeration for security personnel among others.
So, what else can I wish a friend of inestimable value than to seek for him Allah’s grace for more resounding successes and achievements. May the Almighty populate the entire Nigeria landscape with the likes of Dr Oluremi Olaleye.
As you finish the halftime of your 4-year race, may you be further strengthened to dwarf the current achievements with more marvelous ones in future.
©Elder Yinka Salaam
- Naira, Fuel Shortages: Oodua Youth Parliament Gives CBN, NNPCL Bosses 3-Day Ultimatum
- Breaking: Supreme Court Affirms Lawan As Authentic Candidate Of Yobe North
- The Political Dimension Of The Naira Redesign, By Dakuku Peterside
- Again In Ibadan, Residents Troop Out To Protest Over Scarcity Of Fuel, Naira Notes
- Amotekun Arrests 3 Who Specialise In Looting Construction Sites In Osun
Crime5 days ago
Pastor Shares Own Obituary On Whatsapp To Avoid Paying Member ₦3m Debt
News5 days ago
Adeleke Orders Payment Of Half Backlog Salaries, Arrears
Crime5 days ago
Gunmen Abduct Commissioner In C’River
News5 days ago
Aisha Buhari Shares El-Rufai Video On ‘Elements In Aso Villa Working Against APC’