Connect with us

News

Osogbo Boils As Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy, Exchange Fire With Security Operatives

Published

on

Tension gripped Osogbo on Wednesday as suspected gunmen attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, leading to a prolonged exchange of gunfire between the assailants and security operatives.

The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace where he had visited the traditional ruler following his receipt of the Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo.

The shooting, which reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, sent residents, traders and other members of the public in the area into panic as people hurriedly abandoned their businesses and searched for places of safety.

Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State INEC headquarters, where he formally received his Certificate of Return following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.

An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the governor and his entourage were received by the Ataoja, who was presented with the Certificate of Return during the visit.

According to the eyewitness, the attack began shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch had offered prayers for the governor.

She said Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit traditionally reserved for the monarch and his wives and was inside the vehicle conveying him and his close aides when the gunshots erupted.

“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots,” the eyewitness said.

“Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo. The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace.

“The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”

A trader operating close to the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers may have had prior knowledge of the governor’s visit and allegedly positioned themselves around the area.

“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him,” she said.

“They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.

“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”

The gun battle reportedly forced traders and residents around the palace, Osogbo Central Mosque and adjoining areas to flee as the sound of gunshots reverberated across the vicinity.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack when contacted by our correspondent.

Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers and disclosed that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” the commissioner said.

As of 4:45 p.m., sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area, while several business owners had hurriedly closed their shops amid fears of a renewed attack.

The incident occurred barely hours after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from INEC following his re-election in the August 15 Osun governorship election, raising fresh concerns over security in the state.

Security authorities had yet to disclose whether any arrests had been made in connection with the attack as of the time of filing this report.

Trending