Connect with us


Sadly: Ex-Police Boss,Tafa Balogun Dies Days To His 75th Birthday




Former Nigeria Police Boss during the administration of president Olusegun Obasanjo, IGP. Christopher Adebayo Balogun,who was planning for his 75th birthday, has been reported dead
on Thursday at Reddington Hospital, Lekki, Lagos.

Balogun who led the police force from 2002 to 2005, his demise was briefed around 8:30 pm after suffered from heart related diseases,that explained by a family source.

He was born on August 25, 1947, in Ila Orangun, Osun State, where he spent his early years education .He attended the University of Lagos, graduating in 1972 with a B.A. in Political Science. He joined the Nigeria Police Force in May 1973 and also as a working police officer,he gained a law degree from the University of Ibadan.

He was a member of Cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police Course 3 and worked in various police commands across the federation and was promoted as of when due. He was also a principal staff officer to the former IGP, Muhammadu Gambo, deputy commissioner of police, Edo state, the pioneer commissioner of police in Delta state.

He also served as a commissioner in River and Abia state.

After working in various positions across the country,Balogun rose to the position of IGP in March 2002.

Sadly he died at 74, few days to his 75th birthday.

Police Force Public Relations Officer and Chief Supretendent of Police (CSP), Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said the police high command has heard about the incident in the dailies but yet to be informed of his demise by his family .

Recall IGP Balogun was arraigned at the Federal High Court, Abuja on charges involving about N13 billion obtained through money laundering, theft and other sources.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission under Nuhu Ribadu brought 70 charges against him covering the period from 2002 to 2004.

But the manner of his arrest drew comment from people as he was handcuffed and embarrassed by the operatives.

He made a plea bargain with the court in exchange for returning much of the property and money and was sentenced to six months in jail.
He was released on February 9, 2006 after serving his sentence.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *