Residents of Ondo and Ekiti states, on Wednesday protested the abandonment poor condition of Akure-Ado Ekiti road urging the Federal Government to urgently come to their rescue.
Recall that the road is being handling by Dantata & Sawoe, contractors after being awarded and mobilised by the Federal government in 2020.
The protesters who stayed at the Igoba end for over three hours, lamented high rate of abduction on the route.
Speaking on behalf the protesters, Comrade Niyi Majofodun lamented that since the Akure-Ado Ekiti road had been awarded, the contractor had not carried out any serious work on the road.
Comrade Majofodun alleged that the contractor alongside some public servants were frustrating President Buhari’s efforts after the road project had been awarded for over twenty-two billion naira to the company handling it without moving to the site.
According to him, the dilapidated road had turned to den of kidnappers and armed robbers while many lives had lost, hence the need for President Buhari to act urgently on the road rehabilitation.
Some motorists who spoke with journalists while being held for hours also called on the Federal government to address the grievances of the protesters as the Akure-Ado Ekiti road was becoming not motorable on daily basis.
Majofodun said “We want to commend the effort of President Buhari (GCFR ) on the road infrastructural projects across the country and especially in the south west of Nigeria. When Mr. president announced the readiness of the Federal Government through the Minister of Works to dualize this road the states of Ondo and Ekiti did not hide their joy and the overwhelming jubilation expressed by the users of the road but however became very sad when the road was awarded to Dantata & Sawoe.
“The fear of the people was their doubts in the performance of Dantata & Sawoe which is a reflection of what we are witnessing today.
“The dualization of Akure-Ado Ekiti road was awarded to Dantata & Sawoe in 2020 and subsequently got mobilized in November 2020 however, the contractor refused to move to site until few days ago after our organization had petitioned the office of the Director-General of BPP over the abandonment of the project.”
The protesters who carried different placards, however, called on President Muhammadu Buhari to investigate and sanction those behind the corruption surrounding the award of the contract.
- Osun: APC Chieftain, Asler Distributes Free JAMB, WAEC Forms To Over 550 Indigent Students In Ejigbo
- Buhari Declares Tinubu As Next President Of Nigeria
- Yoruba Obas Fume Over Scarcity Of New Naira Notes, Fuel, Urge Buhari To Respond To Cries Of Nigerians
- Opposition Elements Want To Create Political Crisis With Fuel, New Naira Notes Scarcity, Says Tinubu
- Tinubu/Shettima 2023: Badmus Provides Free Medical Service To Osogbo Residents
Crime4 days ago
Pastor Shares Own Obituary On Whatsapp To Avoid Paying Member ₦3m Debt
Foreign News4 days ago
Just In: Missing Radioactive Capsule Found In Australia
News4 days ago
2023 Election: Elements In Presidential Villa Working Against Tinubu – El-Rufai
News4 days ago
Tinubu Speaks Of Return Of Economic Prosperity At Calabar, Awka Campaign Rallies