Ndambi Guebuza, the son of Mozambique’s ex-president alongside 18 others have been arraigned over the $2billion “tuna bonds” affair in the capital Maputo.
Ndambi Guebuza, son of former President Armando Guebuza, and the others face charges of blackmail, embezzlement and money laundering in what has been described as Mozambique’s biggest post-independence corruption scandal.
Mr Guebuza and former members of the State Information and Security Service (Sise) are among those expected to appear as defendants in the case whose hearings will run until 1 September.
The trial is being held in a large canvas tent on the grounds of a maximum-security prison in the outskirts of the capital.
The city’s courtrooms were deemed too small for the scores of lawyers, 70 witnesses and 250 media workers who have been accredited to attend.
In the opening court session, the judge said all the accused must attend court in a prison uniform.
Between 2013 and 2014, Mozambique borrowed about $2bn but only disclosed most of the debt to the International Monetary Fund in 2016.
The money was allegedly used to buy a large tuna factory and a maritime security fleet, as well as to finance other deals involving companies in which the state is a leading shareholder.
The scandal plunged Mozambique into its worst financial crisis since independence in 1975 and also led to the suspension of budgetary aid to Mozambique by its external partners.
Former Mozambique Finance Minister Manuel Chang is also wanted over the scandal and is fighting extradition from South Africa. He denies any wrongdoing.
- Opinion: “No Economy In Osun State, under Governor Oyetola” – Former Deputy Speaker Lasun Yusuf
- Osun APC Fires Back At Lasun Yussuf Over Comments On 2018 Guber Poll, Says He’s An Attention Seeker
- How Ovie Omo-Agege Was Sent To Rig Me Out Of Osun Guber Race In 2018 – Lasun Yusuff
- APC Didn’t Win 2018 Guber Election In Osun – Lasun Yussuf Alleges, Says Nobody Can Stop His 2022 Gov Ambition
- ‘APC Did Not Win 2018 Governorship Election In Osun’ – Gov aspirant, Lasun Yusuf
News4 days ago
Olufon Stool: Why Odunolu Ruling House Cannot Produce The New King – Oluyeyin Ruling House
News4 days ago
Tragedy As FEDPOFFA Lecturer Slumps, Dies
News3 days ago
Akure North/South By-Election: Group Seeks Support For Adesida’s Reps Ambition
Opinion4 days ago
Tribute To Mr Ayatu Momoh