Jigawa State High Court No. 3, sitting in Dutse, on Tuesday, convicted and sentenced a 22-year-old Sagiru Muhammad, of Sakwaya Village, Dutse LGA, Jigawa State, to ten (10) years imprisonment for the offense of rape.
The prosecution counsel said the convict was earlier arraigned before the High Court on a lone count charge of rape.
He was alleged to have lured a girl on the pretext of buying ‘tofu’ or ‘bean cake’ (awara) during which he had unlawful sexual intercourse with her.
The offence, which took place on the 16th day of September, 2021, is contrary to Section 282 (1) (e) of the Penal Code, Cap. P3, Laws of Jigawa State, 2012 (as amended).
While delivering the judgment, Justice M.A. Sambo held that the prosecution from the State Ministry of Justice had proved all the ingredients of the offense of rape through their witnesses, particularly that of the victim’s mother, and the evidence of forensic examiner that conducted a medical investigation on the girl.
The court further went on to hold that the evidence of all the defense witnesses was successfully punctured by the prosecution and therefore inadmissible as all the defense witnesses were closely related to the defendant which made them have a purpose to serve.
The court further said the judgment is meant to serve as a deterrent to similar offenders.
- Nigerian UK-Based Nurse Reportedly Sacked, Deported For Praying For Patient
- Inisa Mosque: Stop Fighting For Leadership Position, It’s Not Anybody’s Property- Islamic Cleric, Shehik Alawe Warns Warring Religious Members
- Why Tinubu Is Under Pressure To Legalize Homosexuality In Nigeria
- Lassa Fever: Traders Importing Live Rats From Kano, Kaduna, Bauchi — Benue Govt Raises alarm
- Man Kills Girlfriend, Posts Picture Of Body As Whatsapp Status
Crime2 days ago
I Never Regret My Action As Member Of Buccaneer Confraternity- Fresh Graduate Arrested For Disrupting Campus
News4 days ago
Royal Houses Warn Osun Govt Against Imposition Of New Monarch
South West News3 days ago
Eripa First Baptist Church Honours 14 Elders For Their Service, Contribution To Evangelism
News1 day ago
BUA Chairman, Rabiu Rejects APC Appointment