News
FCT Polls: Wike Hails Peaceful Conduct, Commends Voters And Security Agencies
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has described the FCT area council elections as peaceful, commending residents for their orderly conduct during the exercise.
Wike made the remarks on Saturday after monitoring voting activities in parts of the territory, including Garki, Karu Chief’s Palace, Karshi, Kabusa and Ketti.
While expressing satisfaction with the calm atmosphere, the minister noted concerns over voter apathy, particularly in the city centre. He observed that turnout in several satellite towns was significantly higher, describing participation in areas such as Ketti as encouraging.
He said the absence of violence, ballot box snatching or other disruptions was a positive development for the territory’s democratic process.
The minister also praised security agencies for maintaining order throughout the polls, stating that no major incidents had been reported across polling units visited.
Wike further commended the Independent National Electoral Commission for what he described as the smooth conduct of the election.
Responding to criticism by Ireti Kingibe, who had faulted the restriction of movement from Friday night to Saturday evening, Wike clarified that the measure was not a curfew but a movement restriction approved by President Bola Tinubu to ensure a hitch-free exercise.
He said the decision was taken in the interest of public safety and the integrity of the electoral process, adding that similar measures had been implemented during previous elections.
-
News5 days agoOba Adebisi Installs Eesa, Yeye-Loja, Balogun Of Okeolooru Obalufon Town
-
Opinion3 days agoThe Clout-chasing Dipo Awojide By Comrade Da’Peace
-
News4 days ago2026: Let’s Work Hand In Hand To Ensure Party’s Victory, APC Igbimo-Agba Osun Urges Ex-guber Aspirants, Party Members
-
News2 days agoRamadan, Lent: Shettima Calls For National Unity And Compassion

