Connect with us


What To Know About New Rules For Foreign Students To Study In Canada



The Canadian Government has effected some changes for international students who want to study in Canada in 2024.

Canadian Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Marc Miller, announced these changes will affect from January 1, 2024.

The Canadian Government implemented a cap on study permits, proof of finances has been increased, and changes in postgraduate work permits for international students in 2024.

This piece aims to provide insights into the latest updates, ensuring that you are well informed about the changes affecting international students in Canada.

1. Temporary cap on study permits
With the bid to manage high application volume, Canada set a temporary cap of 360,000 new study permits for 2024. This signifies that the maximum number of Canadian student visas would be pegged at 360,000 for the 2024 intake.

2. Cost of living and increase in proof of finances
As a foreign student, you will be asked to show proof of finances if you are coming to study in Canada at your own expense. The minimum required financial proof of support has risen from $10,000 to $20,635 for all provinces except Quebec, effective January 1, 2024.

For Quebec, the minimum is now $15,078 (except for students under 18, who require $7,541).

If you are looking for scholarships to study in Canada then please check out the BS MS PhD Scholarships in Canada in 2024.

3. Changes to Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
Under the new Canadian rules, Master’s degree graduates will now be eligible for a 3-year PGWP, effective September 1, 2024. Graduates of master’s degree programs, even if less than two years in duration, also qualify for a 3-year PGWP.

Students enrolled in programmes under curriculum licensing agreements will no longer be eligible for PGWP after graduation, starting September 1, 2024.

4. Part-time working hours limit extended

The temporary 20-hour work limit exemption during studies has been extended until April 30, 2024.

5. Spouses of open work permit international students

Spouses of international students with a study permit cannot directly apply for an open work permit anymore. They need to apply for a closed work permit tied to their spouse’s employer.