Connect with us


‘Defiled’ 8-Year-Old Girl Dies During Trial In Ogun



An eight-year-old girl (name withheld) allegedly defiled by one Lekan Tunji, has died mysteriously while the trial is still in progress in Abeokuta, Ogun state.

New Telegraph gathered that the girl died on Monday while preparing for school.

Tunji was arraigned last year before a family court sitting at Isabo, Abeokuta, Ogun State, on a one count charge.

The accused was alleged to have sexually assaulted the victim on June 27, 2022 at Lagbua Village, Kemta Housing Estate, Idi-Aba, Abeokuta.

Tunji allegedly committed the offence by defiling the victim and also inserting a blackish substance into the girl’s vagina with his finger.

“That you Lekan Oyedele Tunji (M) on or about the 27 day of June, 2002 at about 05:30pm at Lagbua Village, Kemta Housing Estate, Idi-Aba, Abeokuta in the Abeokuta Magisterial District did sexually exploited one (name withheld) an eight-year old girl by inserting a blackish substance into her vagina with your finger and thereby committed an offence Contrary to and Punishable under Section 33 of the Child Rights Law, Laws of Ogun State, 2006,” the charge reads.

The suspect pleaded not guilty to the charge and he was granted bail by the Magistrate in charge of the case, Mrs Idowu.

The prosecuting counsel, M J Oyefesobi had opened the case and closed after calling witnesses and presented some evidences in support of the case.

When the trial resumed on Thursday for the respondent’s counsel to open defence, but the Court was informed that the girl had died.

Defence Counsel, T A Akinsola prayed the court to adjourn the matter in view of the circumstance.

The Prosecuting counsel did not oppose the prayer.

Magistrate Mrs E.O Idowu, therefore, adjourned the matter till August 3 for opening of defence.

The Complainant, Barrister Adedamola Lapite, who is also the Executive Director, the Spring Centre, a sexual assault referral centre in Ogun state, told newsmen after the adjournment that girl died while she was preparing for school on Monday.

“She dressed up for school and she was told to go and pick her water bottle. She just dropped dead,” he said.

He said her death would not affect the ongoing trial because the prosecutor had closed the case before her demise.

Lapite said “The next line of action is for the defence to open their case except we are able to link her death to his (suspect) actions.

“She already gave evidence. She is not a party parse when it comes to law. If you look at the case, it’s State or Commissioner of Police vs Defendant.

“So, the case will still go on even she is not there.