Connect with us

News

Cult Clash: Osun Govt Vows To Bring Perpetrators To Book

Published

on

Osun State Commissioner for Information and Civil Orientation, Mrs Funke Egbemode

Following the clashes that ensued between a rival cult groups which led to the death of five Residents of Ilesa Communities, Osun State government has sounded a note of warning to criminal elements to vacate the state with immediate effect, saying it would not fold its hands while a few criminal elements unleash terror on law-abiding citizens going about their normal activities.

CityMirrorNews had earlier reported that at least five residents of Ilesa, have been killed during the clashes between two rival cult groups and suspected land grabbers in the area.

The crisis started on Friday afternoon after suspected cultists stormed a new building that was being roofed at Omi-Tuntun area of Ilesa and demanded for money from workers at the site.

Reacting to the incident, the state government through the Commissioner for Information and Civil Orientation, Mrs Funke Egbemode, in a statement, she signed and made available to CityMirrorNews in Osogbo, on Sunday condemned the incident and vowed to bring the perpetrators to book.

Reiterating that Osun State remains a peaceful state, Egbemode said those found culpable of disrupting the peace of Osun by way of harassing innocent citizens or being in possession of illegal arms will be made to face the consequences of their actions.

She said: “The Government of the State of Osun wishes to inform the public that the disturbance in Ilesa caused by a clash between two rival cult groups and land grabbers (Omo-onile), has been brought under control and security operatives have moved into the communities where the clash had spread to ensure that there is no further break down of law and order.

“Residents of Omi-tuntun, Ijoka, Sabo, Ilerin-Ijesa areas and other affected communities can now go about their lawful activities without fear. Peace has been restored but the communities remain under tight security surveillance till further notice. 

“The government is, however,  using this opportunity to reiterate that Osun remains a peaceful state, and the government will not fold its hands while a few criminal elements unleash terror on law-abiding citizens going about their normal activities.

“Those found culpable of disrupting the peace of Osun by way of harassing innocent citizens or being in possession of illegal arms will be made to face the consequences of their actions.

“The government is imploring parents and guardians to keep a close watch on their children and wards, so that they are not used to perpetrate criminal activities because when the law  catches up with them, and they will face the full weight of the law.

“The government is also imploring residents and citizens to always channel their grievances to the appropriate authorities and resist the temptation of taking law into their own hands. 

“Osun is a peaceful state, and the government will not condone attempts to jeopardise that peace.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advert banner

Recent Posts

Trending