Hundreds of intending pilgrims are protesting in Kano over the non allocation of hajj slots to them despite making full payments for the pilgrimage.
The protesters stormed the head office of Jaiz Bank, the financial institution that processed their payment through a savings scheme, and the office of the Kano State Pilgrims Board.
The affected persons, numbering 284, said they were shocked to find out that after making payment, no seat was reserved for them, noting that some of them started the saving scheme since 2019.
It was reported that the first batch of the 400 intending pilgrims from Kano State had been airlifted to Saudi Arabia for the 2022 hajj exercise on Monday.
One of the affected intending pilgrims, Auwalu Jibrin, said, “We are the ones the National Hajj Commission asked to open an account with Jaiz Bank and deposit our money there. The state pilgrim board has collected our passport and screened us and now we learnt that we have no allocation.
“We are now left stranded without any assurance. Jaiz Bank has told us that of course there’s a problem and they are working towards ratifying the problem.”
Sources familiar with the development told Daily Trust that names of the aggrieved intending pilgrims had been sent to the state pilgrim board and documented but were not included in this year’s hajj because of the reduced allocation.
According to a source, the state pilgrim board is constrained by over 100 names sent from NAHCON to be given allocation while many who saved for years under the hajj scheme could not be accommodated.
On his part, the Executive Secretary of Kano Pilgrims Board, Abba Dambatta, told Daily Trust that the board was doing its best to resolve the problem, noting that there was no allocation this year for those on savings’ scheme, especially those from Jaiz Bank.
He however said he was going to Abuja to make efforts in securing allocation for the 284 intending pilgrims.
Dillivry [Advert Banner]
- We’ve Started Invoking Heavenly Spirit For Peaceful 2023 Elections–Peers Of Heaven Societal Group
- Monarch Sentenced To Death For Murder Of Subject
- IGP Dismisses Corporal For Searching Commuter’s Phone By The Road Side
- ‘You Can’t Promote APC, Tinubu And Not Look Stupid’, Dino Melaye Fires Back At Keyamo
- 2023: Police Hold Talks With Political Parties In Oyo
Crime3 days ago
Just In: Court Remands Osun Popular Thug, Rasidi Oko-Ilu Over Alleged Murder, Arson
News5 days ago
Why We Decided To Join Police In Hunting For Wanted Suspected Thug, Oko-Ilu–OPC
News3 days ago
Ede Killings: Group Asks IGP To Ignore Allegations Against CSP Omoyele
News5 days ago
Police Dismiss Officer Caught In Viral Video Flogging Man With Machete