There is tension after gunmen attacked a police checkpoint in Anambra State.
The Nation gathered some are feared dead during the attack with others reportedly injured.
The incident occurred around 10:30 am between Ihiala-Uli axis in Ihiala local government area.
The incident forced commuters to run for their lives as the gunmen shot non-stop.
The Nation gathered all the security operatives removed their uniforms and took cover in nearby bushes and houses.
Commercial bus operators have abandoned the Onitsha- Owerri expressway as of the time of filing this report for fear of being killed.
Anambra Police spokesman Ikenga Tochukwu refused to pick calls for confirmation when contacted.
But one of the senior police officers, who spoke with The Nation in confidence, confirmed the attack.
The source said:” I’ve not heard of any death but I can tell you there were casualties during the gun battle”
The source added Police Commissioner Echeng Echeng has despatched special squad to Ihiala to quell the situation.
- Nigerians Angry With Govt Officials Over High Cost Of Living – Shettima
- Police Arrest Man For killing Mother, Sister In Enugu
- 35-Yr-Old Man In Police Custody For Attempting To Kill Wife With Pestle
- Ex-Sierra Leone President Under House Arrest Amid Coup Investigation
- JUST-IN: Senate Donates N109m December salary To Kaduna Bombing Victims
News5 days ago
All Set For 2023 Akoraye Day In Modakeke
News4 days ago
Ifon/Ilobu Crisis: Ilobu Residents Raise Alarm Over Alleged Invasion, Destruction Of Farmland By Hoodlums
News5 days ago
Ago Owu Farmers Protest Alleged Invasion Of Farmland By Hoodlums, Herders (Video)
News2 days ago
JUST IN: Late Alaafin’s Son, Abdulfatai Is Dead