Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano has granted freedom to 123 prison inmates across the state.
Ganduje, who witnessed the release of the inmates from Goron Dutse Prison on Thursday, said the gesture was in the spirit of the Eid-El Fitr celebration.
He said the beneficiaries were selected based on the gravity of offences and signs of reformation while in prison.
The governor said that the decision to visit the prison was to show the inmates that the state government was aware of their existence and that they were also regarded as citizens of the state.
Ganduje said that the gesture was to complement the Federal Government’s efforts to further reduce congestion in the nation’s prisons.
He advised the ex-inmates to change their attitudes to life and pray for peace and stability in Nigeria.
The governor also gave each of the freed inmates N5,000 as transport fare to their various destination.
Earlier, the Comptroller of Prisons in Kano, Suleiman Suleiman, thanked the governor for freeing thousands of inmates since his coming into office.
Suleiman advised the freed inmates to stay off crime to avoid going back to prison.
Ganduje also visited remand homes and Kano children’s home in the metropolis as part Sallah celebration. (NAN)
- Osun: APC Chieftain, Asler Distributes Free JAMB, WAEC Forms To Over 550 Indigent Students In Ejigbo
- Buhari Declares Tinubu As Next President Of Nigeria
- Yoruba Obas Fume Over Scarcity Of New Naira Notes, Fuel, Urge Buhari To Respond To Cries Of Nigerians
- Opposition Elements Want To Create Political Crisis With Fuel, New Naira Notes Scarcity, Says Tinubu
- Tinubu/Shettima 2023: Badmus Provides Free Medical Service To Osogbo Residents
Crime4 days ago
Pastor Shares Own Obituary On Whatsapp To Avoid Paying Member ₦3m Debt
Foreign News4 days ago
Just In: Missing Radioactive Capsule Found In Australia
News4 days ago
2023 Election: Elements In Presidential Villa Working Against Tinubu – El-Rufai
News4 days ago
Tinubu Speaks Of Return Of Economic Prosperity At Calabar, Awka Campaign Rallies