Connect with us

News

26 Killed, 50 Injured In Yemen Airport Blast

Published

on

At least 26 people were killed when explosions rocked Yemen’s Aden airport moments after a new unity government flew in, in what some officials charged was a “cowardly” attack by Iran-backed Huthi rebels.

Although all government ministers were reported to be unharmed in Wednesday’s attack, more than 50 people were wounded, medical and government sources told AFP in the southern city, with the casualty toll feared likely to rise.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said one of its employees was among those confirmed dead, with another three wounded.

“The Yemeni people have endured a terrible amount of suffering over the last five years. A day like this adds even more grief,” said ICRC operations director Dominik Stillhart.

As smoke billowed out of the airport terminal from an initial blast, with debris strewn across the area and people rushing to tend to the wounded, a second explosion took place.

Video footage shot by AFP shows what appears to be a missile striking the airport apron, which moments before had been packed with crowds, and exploding into a ball of intense flames.

The Saudi-led coalition said: “A Huthi drone which attempted to target Al-Masheeq Palace was… shot down.”

Tens of thousands, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions displaced in Yemen’s grinding five-year war, which has triggered what the United Nations has called the world’s worst humanitarian disaster.

Yemen’s internationally recognised government and southern separatists formed a power-sharing cabinet on December 18, forging a joint front against the Huthi rebels who have seized Sanaa and much of the country’s north.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

Trending