Osun 2022: INEC To Deploy New Technology To Enhance Credible Elections
..says commission is 95% ready to conduct Osun polls
The major umpire in the Osun 2022 gubernatorial elections, the Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC) has hinted that arrangements have been concluded to introduce the Biomodal Voters Accreditation System (BIVAS) in a bid to enhance the credibility of the election.
The commission says the BIVAS will be deployed for accreditation of voters and instant transfer of results to the commission’s portal right from the polling units and which can be viewed live on http://www.inecelectionresult.ng
Osun Resident Electorial Commissioner, Prof. Abdulganiyu Raji made the disclosure yesterday, while addressing journalists on the second day of a 2 day workshop on election coverage organized by the Ministry of Information and Civic Orientation.
The Resident Electorial Commissioner who was represented at the workshop by the Head Of Department, Election and Party Monitoring, INEC, Alhaji Shehu Muhammed also added that the commission is 95% ready for the conduct of Osun polls.
The Commission said the BIVAS will take finger and facial recognition during accreditation of voters, while also stressing that the commission is working assiduously to ensure that no incident of zero polling unit is recorded as all the 3,763 polling units in the State are expected to witness voting.
According to Prof. Abdulganiyu, “INEC is working round the clock to ensure a itch free and credible elections in Osun come July 16, I can assure you that we are 95% ready for the election, the remaining 5% of preparation has to do with the sensitive materials which we can’t do anything about as of now. As for the non-sensitive materials we are set.
“As part of our efforts to ensure that the election is credible, free and fair, INEC is deploying a technology for that purpose, we are using the Biomodal Voters Accreditation System BIVAS which will accredit voters and will be used to transmit results straight to the portal at our headquarters and which can also be viewed live online through http://www.inecelectionresult.ng.
“We are doing all of this to try and reduce to the minimum the elements of human errors during the polls. The functionality of the BIVAS have been put to test and I can tell you that it has been found to be more efficient than the Card Reader. It has a battery life which can last for at least 12 hours and each of them has two extra batteries”.
While explaining that the commission has already identified polling units that are always flash points on election day, Prof. Abdulganiyu used the occasion to appeal to journalists to help in the area of voter education by continuously telling the people to rely on INEC for their votes to count so as to avoid ballot snatching and violence.
He also appealed to residents of Osun to see voting as their civic responsibility, while urging electorates to trust INEC with their votes and be rest assured that their votes will count.
- Orji Kalu Weeps Profusely At Senate’s Valedictory Session, Says Nigeria’s Not Fair
- BREAKING: Suspended CBN Governor, Emefiele Arrested
- Breaking: At Last, DSS Arrests Emefiele
- Yoruba Nation Leader, Professor Adeniran Returns To Nigeria From Exile, Floats Group
- Reactions As Late Alaafin Of Oyo’s Youngest Wife Damilola Publicly Seeks For New Husband
News5 days ago
Update: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Makinde Moves To Review Workers Salary, Sets Up Committee
News3 days ago
Aregbesola Receives Rousing Welcome In Osun, As Ex-Minister Harps On Party Restructuring
News3 days ago
BREAKING: Tinubu Swears Akume In As SGF
News3 days ago
Homecoming Reception: I Owe My Success To God, President Tinubu, Buhari – Aregbesola