The people of Ndegwu in Owerri West LGA of Imo State have been thrown into shock and mourning following the horrendous lightning that struck and allegedly killed two persons and injured four others on Monday evening during heavy rainfall.
The victims, Mr.Emeka Gerald Mbah, a 39-year-old from Umuejekaubi Umuahum Ndegwu, and his friend, Mr.Chigbumkpa Ernest Odionyenma, 36-year-old from Umuadi Umuogwuta in Ndegwu Community, died instantly when the thunder struck during heavy rain at about 5 pm.
Mr. Stanley Opara, an eyewitness, told our correspondent that the deceased were both married with kids and until their sudden demise were members of the Assemblies of God Church at Ndegwu.
He said the two victims and four others were hired to work as labourers at a building site in Umuogwuta village in Ndegwu when the lightning flashed and distant thunder rolled.
He explained that those who survived were thrown away into the building’s foundation and were seriously injured
It was like an electric spark and a heavy thunderstorm that shook the entire community. People were screaming in front of the site and when we rushed out we saw two figures lying down,” he said.
While the sad event had continued to raise concerns, especially the circumstances surrounding the death of the two persons and the injured ones, Mr Kelechi Iwuagwu who spoke to our correspondent said: “We are shocked till now and we cannot comprehend the mystery of the lightning strike. We know from the way they were killed that it was not ordinary and for those who survived they must thank God for their lives.”
- 2023: ‘Nigerians Will Buy Rice For N80,000, Diesel For N1500 – Primate Ayodele
- Stay-At-Home: Gunmen Reportedly Kill Policeman, Pawpaw’s Brother, Attack Commissioner In Imo
- JUST IN : Croatia Dump Brazil Out Of World Cup, Qualify For Semi-Final
- Side Chicks Help Men Stay Committed To Their Wives – Relationship Expert, Blessing CEO
- Tension As Bandit Kill 90-Year-Old, Two Others In Fresh Gombe Attack