The Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, has expressed his displeasure over the idea of killing of bandits in the country.
Magashi was quoted as saying in a post on Twitter by an aide to President Muhammadu Buhari on social media, Lauretta Onochie, on Thursday.
According to Onochie, the Defence Minister stated that the bandits are innocent of the several killings until proven guilty by a court of jurisdiction.
He, however, said armed bandits will be eliminated.
“I don’t share the idea of killing bandits. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty but if we see a bandit, armed with dangerous weapons, his surroundings will be cleared along with him. We cannot just watch them kill us without responding,” Magashi was quoted as saying.
Maghashi’s position opposed the recent resolution of the 36 state governors, who unanimously agreed that all bandits in the forests should be eliminated.
The minister had in February told Nigerians not to “be cowards” but stand up to armed bandits.
He had also informed the troops fighting insurgency to be courageous, saying they would not die by bullet if it is not their time.
- Former Osun Governor, Oyinlola, Threatens To Sue IG Over Non-release Of MTN Report
- 2023: Southwest Parliamentarians Vow To Mobilise Millions Of Votes For Tinubu/Shetima
- Nigerian Arrested, Another Wanted In Canada Over $500K Airline Ticket Fraud
- Tension As Corpse Disappears From Mortuary, Hospital Reviews CCTV
- Court Delivers Judgement Seeking Buhari’s Removal From Office Monday
News3 days ago
Senator Asks Buhari To Declare State Of Emergency On Security In Osun
News5 days ago
Osun: APC Senatorial Candidate, Tadese Escapes Assassination As Political Thugs Allegedly Attack Supporters
Politics5 days ago
2023 Poll: I Married Igbo Lady, Vote For My Father, Tinubu’s Son Begs Anambra Electorate
News3 days ago
JUST IN: Nasarawa Gov Loses Son