Cape Verde’s largest opposition party, the African Independence Party of Cape Verde (PAICV), has criticized its government for the lack of transparency, amateurism, and the inability to deal with files involving Venezuelan diplomat, Alex Saab who has been in their custody since last year.
PAICV asserted that the country’s permanent national objectives and image were in serious jeopardy.
It would be recalled that Mr Saab, who was on a humanitarian mission to Iran from Venezuela, was arrested on June 12, 2020 during a stopover at Amilcar Cabral International Airport on the Island of Sal by the Cape Verdean government.
The Cape Verdean government had reportedly arrested him based on an international arrest warrant purportedly issued by Interpol at the request of the United States.
Noting that Mr Saab had diplomatic immunity at the time he was arrested, the Venezuelan authorities have demanded his unconditional release.
In a statement released on Wednesday, a copy which was made available to CityMirrorNews, PAICV said it cannot be hidden that Mr Saab’s case has captured the interests involving other countries, leaving Cape Verde in a situation of “embarrassment and dilemma” in the face of any outcome of the case.
Quoting the Supreme Court of Justice, PAICV said.”Two facts add to this situation, which in no way endorses Cape Verde’s good image: the one that the Cape Verde Government has lost the ability to manage complex and delicate files that the process requires and that indicates foreign policy bewilder in the face of gravity of the dossier.”
PAICV Secretary-General, Julião Varela, explained that the approach of the subject is “as touchy as it is complex”, which should deserve attention from the national authorities so as not to tarnish the image of the country and capital diplomatic won since the independence of Cape Verde in 1975.
Meanwhile, the ECOWAS Court had in its December 20, 2020 ruling ordered the Republic of Cape Verde to place Mr Saab under permanent home detention in good conditions, including access to medical treatment and visits.
The court also ordered that the applicant should not be extradited pending the decision of the court on the substantive suit.
Recently, the regional court on Monday ordered the release of Mr Saab from the Island’s detention and awarded him $200,000 as compensation for his ‘illegal arrest and detention.’
News4 days ago
Breaking: Benin Republic Files New Charges Against Sunday Igboho
News4 days ago
Boko Haram Releases Photos Of Abducted Soldiers, Protocol Officers
Sports4 days ago
Breaking: Naomi Osaka Knocked Out Of Tokyo Games
News5 days ago
Sunday Igboho: Ooni, Olubadan Delegations Hit Benin Republic