Former President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has given reason why he was in Aso Rock on Tuesday to see President Muhammadu Buhari.
He said he was in Aso Rock to update Buhari on the political situation in The Gambia, where the country’s President, Adama Barrow, is seeking re-election amidst political tension and uncertainties.
Barrow had on Dec. 3 met with Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, where the two leaders engaged in bilateral talks.
The 53-year old Gambian leader later told State House correspondents that his country still needed Nigeria’s stabilising support.
“Things would have been very difficult for us without the invaluable support you gave,” Barrow had said.
However, in a brief interview with State House correspondents at the end of the ‘closed door’ meeting, Jonathan said he briefed Buhari about the outcome of his mission to the Gambian capital Banjul.
Jonathan, who is the ECOWAS Envoy to Mali, said his mission was meant to find amicable solutions to the political problem in The Gambia.
He said that he had successfully completed the first part of the assignment while the final part of the political misunderstanding would be addressed in January, 2021.
NAN reports that some opposition groups in Banjul had embarked on a protest in recent times demanding for the Gambian president to honour his pledge of single term tenure.
- Osun: APC Chieftain, Asler Distributes Free JAMB, WAEC Forms To Over 550 Indigent Students In Ejigbo
- Buhari Declares Tinubu As Next President Of Nigeria
- Yoruba Obas Fume Over Scarcity Of New Naira Notes, Fuel, Urge Buhari To Respond To Cries Of Nigerians
- Opposition Elements Want To Create Political Crisis With Fuel, New Naira Notes Scarcity, Says Tinubu
- Tinubu/Shettima 2023: Badmus Provides Free Medical Service To Osogbo Residents
Crime4 days ago
Pastor Shares Own Obituary On Whatsapp To Avoid Paying Member ₦3m Debt
Foreign News4 days ago
Just In: Missing Radioactive Capsule Found In Australia
News4 days ago
2023 Election: Elements In Presidential Villa Working Against Tinubu – El-Rufai
News4 days ago
Tinubu Speaks Of Return Of Economic Prosperity At Calabar, Awka Campaign Rallies