Connect with us

News

Fire Guts Storey Building In Osun

Published

on

By Ismail Kolapo, Osogbo

An early morning inferno on Thursday gutted a storey building destroying properties worth millions of naira at Peter Ajibola street, Alekunwodo area, Osogbo, Osun State Capital.

It was gathered that the building owned by a 80-year-old retiree, identified as Mrs Olotu caught fire due to an upsurge after electricity was restored to the area around 11:45am.

It took the quick intervention of fire fighters that prevented the fire from affecting other houses in the surrounding.

Residents of the area commended the fire service officials for their proactive ness in preventing the fire from escalating.

An eyewitness, Mrs Omolabake Samuel told CityMirrorNews that “ few minutes after IBEDC restored electricity, we saw one small boy Dada who ran out from the building coughing and we saw smoke coming out of the roof as a result of the fire outbreak.

“Men of the Osun State Fire Service really tried for us. If not for their immediate intervention, things would have gone out of hand.

Speaking, the Public Relation Officer, Osun State Fire Service, Mrs Adijat Basiri urged the residents in the state to ensure they switch off all electrical appliances before leaving their houses to prevent loss of lives and properties.

“The occupant of the apartment left home without switching off all their electrical gadgets.

“When power was restored, there was an electrical shock which resulted in the fire”, Basiri said.

The Osun State Commissioner for Regional Integration and Special Duties, Hon Olalekan Badmus who visited the scene of the fire sympathized with the victim.

He called for calm just as he appealed to residents of the state to be wary of practices that may infuriate disasters such as fire.

The 80-year-old woman

Recent Posts

Trending