Connect with us

News

2019 Polls: Political Thugs Attack Ondo APC Rep Aspirant Supporters, Set Campaign Vehicle Ablaze

Published

on

By Niyi Olutunde, Akure

Two supporters of a House of Representatives aspirant in Ondo state, Olayato Aribo, were on Wednesday night reportedly attacked by some suspected political thugs and set fire on one of their campaign vehicles.

It was gathered that the attack was said to have taken place between 10 and 11pm in the night around the post office area in Owo area of the state.

The attack happened when the two victims identified as Lanre Kako and Tope stopped at the post office area to buy suya while on their way home when the hoodlums attacked them.

Sources said when the suspected thugs saw the campaign vehicle, they fired shots at it but the occupants escaped.

The vehicle was said to have been set ablaze after the two victims had run away.

“The two men were driving one campaign vehicle and they stopped to buy suya around the post office at Owo.

“But some guys came and shot at the vehicle. They had to run away but their attackers set the vehicle on fire.

“Those around put off the fire but these boys reinforced and came back to set the vehicle on fire again,” a source said.

Aribo who is seeking the ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to contest the seat of Owo/Ose federal constituency in next year’s National Assembly elections however called on the security agents in the state to find out the attackers and get them punished to serve as a deterrent to others.

Aribo, while addressing journalists in Akure on Thursday, said the incident had been reported to the police.

The APC aspirant, said he did not suspect anybody, added: “We’ve reported to the police. Police were invited and they witnessed the burning of the bus.

He said, “It is now left for the police to investigate and take action. For now, we don’t suspect anybody. We will forward a petition to the State Commissioner of Police and the state governor.

“I am sure the governor will not be happy about this. And I am sure he also will investigate and find the cause of the attack.

“The first thing I did was to call my supporters and those boys that were there that they should keep calm.

“If the attack came from my political opponents, my advice is that this is not the way to do it. They should go out and campaign in order to win”.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advert

Recent Posts

Trending