By Ayobami Agboola, Osogbo
An Osun state High Court sitting in Ede has fixed July 10, 2018 for the hearing of all pending applications for setting aside the purported installation of Jelili Oyedokun from Ogunwale Ruling House as the new Alaro of Aro in Egbedore Local Government Council of the state.
Recall that the court presided over by Justice A.O Oyebiyi had ordered the state government to stop the process for the installation of Oyedokun as the new Alaro.
However, in flagrant disregard of the court order, the state government directed the constitution of warrant chiefs to kick off the selection process and eventually installed the new Alaro of Aro.
Following the purported installation of Oyedokun, Prince Olakinle Ojo who hails from Ojo/Lawani ruling family on behalf of the family filled a fresh application through his lawyer, Barrister Soji Oyetayo, praying the court to set aside the purported installation.
He prayed the court to order the defendant, Osun State Government to maintain the status quo pending the hearing and determination of the suit.
At the resumed sitting on Monday, May 14th 2018, Justice Oyebiyi faulted the directive for the constitution of warrant chiefs by the state government saying it is illegal and a flagrant disobedience of court order.
Justice Oyebiyi therefore made fresh pronouncements, urging Osun State Government against proceeding with the planned installation of Jelili Oyedokun as new Alaro.
Justice Oyebiyi who fumed on the remarks of the defendant’s counsel, Muyiwa Ogunkeye who stood in for the state counsel, that the government had begun the process for installing new Alaro of Aro, said any further action will attract penalty from court.
The Judge said: Having listened to both parties and especially the information released by the state counsel representing the state government that the government had already approved the appointment of Jelili Oyedokun and that it only awaits the installation, the state government should not proceed with the installation.
When the case was called for mention on Friday June 29, Justice Oyebiyi adjourned till July 10, 2018 for hearing on the applications to set aside the purported installation.
It would be recalled that the stool of Alaro became vacant following the demise of the late Alaro in year 2015 and since then there has been contests on who should ascend the throne among the princes within the royal family.
In the motion exparte, Ojo accused Oyedokun of conniving with the state government to ascend the throne through the backdoor.
According to him, the Farinu ruling house was to produce the new Alaro and out of three branches of the Farinu ruling house, two had reigned (Odefenwa and Ogunwale) leaving Ojo/Lawani branche.
He further explained that an enquiry was conducted by the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, between March 19, 2017 and April 3, 2018 which he said further confirmed the legitimacy of Ojo/Lawani to ascend the throne. He however alleged Oyedokun of political manipulation.
The Judge thereafter, adjourned the case till July 10, 2018 for hearing.
- Ogunkanmi: The Golden Fish that Osun Poly Alumni Must Not Lose
- 2023 Poll : Why I’m Yet To Join APC Campaign – Yahaya Bello To Tinubu’s Son, Seyi
- Man sentenced To Death By Hanging For Gang Rape
- How We Rigged Anambra Election For Soludo – Suspect Alleges
- Osun: BVAS And The Misconception About The Technology By Sarafa Ibrahim