Former president Olusegun Obasanjo on Friday February 5, 2015 paid homage to the Ooni of Ile-Ife, Oba Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi at his palace. Obasanjo openly prostrated flatly for the Ooni, a move that surprised majority of the people at the Ooni’s palace.
The former president who was in Yoruba regalia (agbada) was received by the Ooni and his subjects.
Speaking at the palace said that he had come to Oba Ogunwusi to pay a courtesy call on him and to drum support for the Ooni’s advocacy on the unity of Yoruba race.
The former president stated that the unity move by the Ooni was important for the progress of Yorubaland, urging the traditional ruler Ooni not to relent in his move to ensure unity.
Obasanjo said: “I commend the role of Ooni in ensuring peace in Yorubaland; continue what you are doing, especially your unity course. I am happy with the move taken so far.
“It is only a sign of honour for the Ooni to visit anyone. That does not stop Ile-Ife from its position in the history of Yorubaland.” Obasanjo subsequently prayed for the progress of Ife and Yorubaland.
The former president condemned the Yoruba song “Owu lakokoda”, saying that the song was an affront to Ile-Ife because Ife is the cradle of humanity.
In his remarks, Oba Ogunwusi expressed appreciation for the former president’s visit, just as he commended his humility and respect for the traditional institution.
Dillivry [Advert Banner]
- Gory Details Of Climate Change: A Blessing Turned To A Curse And The Call For Urgent Action By Yakubu Adekunle Alli
- Car Dealer Remanded In Prison Over alleged Fraud Of N13.3M In Osun
- Kogi Poly Goes Gaga, Rusticates 171 Students Over Academic Ineptness
- 2023: Sharada Dumps APC, Emerges As Kano ADP Guber Candidate
- NACETEM To Hold Dissemination Workshop On Design And Impact Of An Apprenticeship-based Entrepreneurship Intervention In Nigeria