Former president Olusegun Obasanjo on Friday February 5, 2016 demonstrated his respect for culture and tradition as he humbly greeted the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, in a Yoruba tradition of greeting monarchs.
Obasanjo who led some personalities to the palace of Ooni, defied prominence in his entourage and prostrated in respect of the crown.
Speaking, Obasanjo expressed support for the unity move by Oba Ogunwusi to visit some prominent monarchs and personalities in the country.
He lauded the visit of Ooni to Awujale, Alaafin and others recently, saying the step was necessary to ensure unity and progress of Yorubaland.
He however appealed to Ooni not to relent in his move to ensure unity.
He said, “I commend the role of Ooni in ensuring peace in Yorubaland. Continue what you are doing, especially your unity course. I am happy with the move taken so far.
“It is only a sign of honour for the Ooni to visit anyone. That does not stop Ile-Ife from its position in the history of Yorubaland.”
Obasanjo subsequently prayed for the progress of Ife and Yorubaland as he apologized for not attending the coronation of Ooni.
Get A Reliable POS For Your Business
- NGOs To Organise Children Outreach In Celebration Of Ooni Ogunwusi’s Birthday
- El-Rufai Inaugurates Council To Regulate Religious Preaching In Kaduna
- Shekarau’s APC Faction Elects Danzago As Chairman
- Congress: Former State Secretary, Emeka Beke Emerges Rivers APC Chairman
- Osun APC Congress: Oyetola Sues For Unity, As Delegates Unanimously Return Famodun, Other New Officers
News5 days ago
OAU: Accounting Set 2001 Refurbishes PG Seminar Room, Calls For Conducive Learning Environment
News4 days ago
Bandits Attack Catholic Seminary In Kaduna, Kidnap Students
News3 days ago
Anambra Police Repel Attack From Unknown Gunmen In Ihiala (Photos)
News3 days ago
‘I Was The Saddest Pregnant Woman In The World’ – Uche Ogbodo