Former president Olusegun Obasanjo on Friday February 5, 2016 demonstrated his respect for culture and tradition as he humbly greeted the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, in a Yoruba tradition of greeting monarchs.
Obasanjo who led some personalities to the palace of Ooni, defied prominence in his entourage and prostrated in respect of the crown.
Speaking, Obasanjo expressed support for the unity move by Oba Ogunwusi to visit some prominent monarchs and personalities in the country.
He lauded the visit of Ooni to Awujale, Alaafin and others recently, saying the step was necessary to ensure unity and progress of Yorubaland.
He however appealed to Ooni not to relent in his move to ensure unity.
He said, “I commend the role of Ooni in ensuring peace in Yorubaland. Continue what you are doing, especially your unity course. I am happy with the move taken so far.
“It is only a sign of honour for the Ooni to visit anyone. That does not stop Ile-Ife from its position in the history of Yorubaland.”
Obasanjo subsequently prayed for the progress of Ife and Yorubaland as he apologized for not attending the coronation of Ooni.
Dillivry [Advert Banner]
- Gory Details Of Climate Change: A Blessing Turned To A Curse And The Call For Urgent Action By Yakubu Adekunle Alli
- Car Dealer Remanded In Prison Over alleged Fraud Of N13.3M In Osun
- Kogi Poly Goes Gaga, Rusticates 171 Students Over Academic Ineptness
- 2023: Sharada Dumps APC, Emerges As Kano ADP Guber Candidate
- NACETEM To Hold Dissemination Workshop On Design And Impact Of An Apprenticeship-based Entrepreneurship Intervention In Nigeria