By Ayobami Agboola, Osogbo.
An Osun State High Court sitting in Ede has ordered the state government to stop the process for installation of One Jelili Oyedokun from Ogunwale Ruling House as the new Alaro of Aro in Egbedore Local Government Council of the state.
The court presided over by the
Hon. Justice A. O Oyebiyi in a ruling delivered on May 3rd 2018 had restrained the state government from installing the new Alaro pending the determination of the suit filed Prince Olakunle Ojo from Ojo/Lawani branch of Farinu ruling House before the court.
The court in an ex parte motion by Prince Olakinle Ojo on behalf of the Ojo/Lawani ruling family prayed the court to order the defendant, Osun State Government to maintain the status quo pending the hearing and determination of the suit.
In its ruling, the court granted interim injunction restraining the state government from installing Jelili Oyedokun as the new Alaro.
In flagrant disobedience of the court order, the State government directed the constitution of warrant chiefs to kick off the selection process and installing the new Alaro of Aro.
At the resumed sitting on Monday, 14th 2018, the Presiding Judge, Justice Oyebiyi faulted the directive for the constitution of warrant chiefs by state government saying it is illegal and flagrant in disobedience to court order.
Justice Oyebiyi therefore made fresh pronouncement asking Osun State Government against proceeding with the planned installation of Jelili Oyedokun as new Alaro.
Justice Oyebiyi who fumed on the remarks of the defendant’s counsel, Muyiwa Ogunkeye who stood in for state counsel that the government had begun process for installing new Alaro of Aro said any further action will attract penalty from court.
The Judge said: Having listened to the both parties and especially the information released by the state counsel representing the state government that the government had already approved the appointment of Jelili Oyedokun and that it only awaits the installation. The state government should not proceed on the installation.
It would be recalled that the stool of Alaro became vacant following the demise of the late Alaro in year 2015 and since then there has been contests on whom to ascend the throne among the princes within the royal family.
In the motion expate, Ojo through his lawyer, Mr B Siyanbola accused Oyedokun of conniving with state government to ascend the throne through the backdoor.
According to him, the Farinu ruling house was to produce the new Alaro and out of three branches of the Farinu ruling house, two had reigned (Odefenwa and Ogunwale) leaving Ojo/Lawani branche.
He further explained that an enquiry was conducted by the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, between March 19, 2017 and April 3, 2018 which he said further confirmed the legitimacy of Ojo/Lawani to the throne. He however alleged Oyedokun of political manipulation.
The Judge thereafter, adjourned the case till May 30, 2018 for hearing.