Against background indefinite strike action embarked by the members of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), the 2017/2018 rain semester examinations in the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile Ife, have begun.
Members of ASUU, OAU chapter, said that they would not allow the examinations to hold because of the ongoing strike action by the union.
But a statement issued by Abiodun Olarenwaju, the public relations officer of the institution, said that the examinations kicked off under a generally peaceful atmosphere.
The statement further said students in the institution applauded the university management for keeping its promise that the examinations would hold as scheduled, contrary to claims by the university’s branch of ASUU that the examination would not hold as its members have been on strike.
Olarewaju, stated that the examinations commenced at exactly 8 0’clock on 14th January, across the designated lecture theatres and halls, and all students whose courses had been scheduled, sat for the examinations.
Professor Eyitope Ogunbodede, the vice-chancellor, in company of other officials of the university, went round the venues to observe the conduct of the examinations, expressing satisfaction with the arrangements for the examination and its successful take-off.
The vice-chancellor went on to appreciate the contributions and support of some academics in the university, who threw their weight behind management’s efforts at regularizing the academic calendar, adding that posterity would not forget them.
- Incessant Comments On Herdsmen’s Untoward Acts: Group Raises Alarm Over Threat To Life
- Osun Security Summit: OPCI Flays Aladesewa Over Comments, Says OPC Is Jittery
- Dismissal Of Certificate Forgery Case:’Persecution Now Fully Exposed’-Senator Adeleke
- Crises Looms In Osun Community Over Kingship Tussle, As Ooni Accused Of Complicity
- The Village Square Interactive Session With ‘Tunde Olatunji