An Ebute Meta Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State on Friday remanded one 31-year-old Godspower Johnson accused of beating his wife to death during a fight over sex.
Chief Magistrate O.O. Olatunji ordered that Godspower should be kept at the Ikoyi Prison, Lagos, for the next 30 days pending advice from the state Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) on the case.
Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp. Oladele Adebayo told the court that the defendant committed the offence on March 21, at 5.30p.m., at No. 28, Adekoye St., Igbo-Elerin, Ishashi.
He alleged that Johnson beat his wife, Deborah, aged 31, to death during a fight.
“The defendant wanted to make love to his wife, he inserted his two fingers into her private part which didn’t go down well with the deceased. A fight ensued leading the defendant to beat up his wife,” he said.
The prosecutor said that murder contravened the provisions of Section 223 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Newsmen reports that Section 223 stipulates the death sentence for the offence.
Olatunji adjourned the case till June 7 for mention.
- I Have Tried By Best, Your Fates Hang In Court Decision – Ajimobi Tells Ibadan Obas
- Why Obasere’s Chieftaincy Installation Did Not Hold – Olubadan
- VP Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting
- BREAKING: Tribunal Dismisses Adelabu, APC’s Application To Recount Ballot Papers (See Reasons)
- Veteran Singer, Baba Fryo Assaulted By Soldiers