By Dorcas Elusogbon
An Osun State Magistrate Court sitting in Ile-Ife, on Friday, remanded a 34-year-old man, Idris Adeleye, in prison custody for allegedly engaging in India hemp business.
The Prosecutor, Insp Sunday Osanyintuyi, had told the court that the defendant committed the offence on July 28, 2019 around 11:00 am at Ilare Street, Ile-Ife.
Osanyintuyi said that the defendant unlawfully have in his possession quantity of substance suspected to be Indian hemp worth 20kg in which he is selling.
He added that the defendant unlawfully be a member of secret society called Eiye Confraternity and thereby disturbing the peaceful atmosphere of the ancient city of Ile-Ife.
According to him, the offence contravened Sections 3, 4, of the Indian Hemp Act Cap 16, Laws of Federation, 2004 and 62, (A), 63 (B), Criminal Code, Laws of Osun, 2002.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to two-count charge of unlawful possession and cult member.
The Defence Counsel, Mrs Modupe Olufemi, applied for the bail of the defendant in most Liberal term, pledged that her client would not jump bail, but would provide responsible sureties.
Magistrate Olukunle Owolawi, did not grant the bail of the defendant, but ordered for his remand in prison custody.
Owolawi adjourned the case until Aug 8, for ruling on bail.(NAN)
- Oyo to Educate over 170,000 Almajiris, Hawkers in 23 LGAs
- Presidential Election: Supreme Court Rejects Atiku, PDP’s Request To Access ‘INEC Server’
- Tai Solarin University Of Education Final Year Student Kills Himself Over Carry-overs
- THE ROLES OF LEADERS FOR EFFECTIVE ORGANIZATION: Full Lecture Delivered By Com Adeboye Adebayo At OPC Leadership Retreat
- Lagos Assembly Rejected 3 Commissioner-Nominees Due To ‘High-Wire Politics’ – Report
Subscribe to CityMirrorNews via Email
News4 days ago
I will End Insecurity, Kidnapping In Yorubaland In 4 Months-Aare Ona Kakanfo
News4 days ago
Adelani Baderinwa Emerges Commissioner Nominee From Ifelodun LG
News3 days ago
Threat Of Insecurity Forced Yoruba People To Recognise OPC-Aare Gani Adams
Sports4 days ago
Samson Siasia Reacts As FIFA Bans Him For Life